Press Release: Queen AIDS Benefit in support of The Mercury Phoenix Trust - Thursday 5th September at One Mayfair
Roger Daltrey, Melanie C, Al Murray and more to celebrate Freddie...
Queen AIDS Benefit in support of The Mercury Phoenix Trust - Thursday 5th September at One Mayfair
“Freddie was a unique talent... A one off!” Roger Daltery
“He is the greatest performer of all time” Melanie C
As one of the definitive rock icons of our age, the late great Freddie Mercury’s sound, charisma and influence is still felt in the entertainment world to this day, over twenty years after his sad death from AIDS related causes.
September 5th 2013 would have been Freddie’s 67th birthday, and to mark the occasion, performers including Roger Daltrey, Melanie C, Alfie Boe and Al Murray will be taking to the stage at One Mayfair for an evening of comedy and rock ‘n’ roll to support the Queen AIDS Benefit, to raise money for The Mercury Phoenix Trust – fighting AIDS worldwide. House band for the evening will once again be fronted by Queen’s regular musical director and keyboard player Spike Edney and his All Star band.
As well as the stellar line up of performances there will be an on the night auction with lots including a signed Katy Perry photo (with Katy dressed as Freddie!), a Taylor Swift signature red guitar and a box for 10 at the Royal Albert Hall. The main prize is a once in a lifetime 3 night stay in New York with VIP guest passes to the Tribeca film festival with a meet and greet with the legendary Robert De Niro, flights courtesy of Virgin Atlantic.
After the death of Freddie Mercury in 1991 the remaining members of Queen and their manager, Jim Beach, organised The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert for AIDS awareness, the proceeds of which were used to launch The Mercury Phoenix Trust. Since 1992 the trust has raised millions of pounds and continued to spread awareness to help in the worldwide fight against AIDS. Click here for more info on the Trust.
One of the Trust’s initiatives, ‘Freddie For A Day’, held annually September 5, is a fun, flamboyant extravaganza. The day is a celebration of Freddie and his life and asks simply that fundraisers dress up in some way as the great man himself. From a simple moustache to a full head to toe Freddie ensemble, a Freddie fancy dress party to a Freddie flash mob, anything goes… as long as each person dressing up asks family and friends to sponsor them to do so to help raise funds for the cause.
Freddie For A Day has been supported by the likes of Katy Perry, Matt Lucas, Jeff Beck, Ben Elton, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, Chris Evans, Red Bull Formula 1 team, and last year Rovio, the creators of ‘Angry Birds’, immortalised Freddie as a character within the world famous game. Rovio will once again this year be supporting Freddie For a Day and the Mercury Phoenix Trust, more news on that to follow.
To mark Freddie’s birthday, the Mercury Phoenix Trust have also teamed up with Hard Rock Cafe’s across the world to help raise awareness and funds offering prizes for the best dressed Freddie’s as well as entertainment throughout the day.
Auction Lots Include
- Three night stay in NYC, courtesy of Robert de Niro’s Greenwich Hotel , VIP tickets to the Tribeca Film Festival with Robert De Niro meet & greet
- Dinner for four on Chef’s Table at Angelus with Thierry Tomasin wine cellar guide
- Taylor Swift Red Guitar
- Lunch for two at Halkin Hotel London
- Dinner for two at Ceviche London
- Perform at G Live (Guildford) with Spike Edney’s All-Star Band
- Hot Air Baloon Flight
- Tessa Packard Ring
- Alice Copper hand drawn and signed picture of Freddie Mercury
- Katy Perry signed photo dressed as Freddie Mercury
- Two tickets & meet and greet for Paloma Faith
- A box for 10 at the Royal Albert Hall for Cirque Du Soleil Quidam (Feb 2014)
- Brietling Watch
- Framed sheet of Freddie Mercury stamps
- VIP tickets for 2 to the Goodwood Festival of Speed donated by Lord March
- Five nights at Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando Florida
- Four tickets plus meet and greet with Billy Joel
- Bang & Olufsen speaker
- One nights stay and afternoon tea for two at the Royal Park London